We provide a complete guidance programme within PSHE lessons for all our students. This begins in Years 7 and 8 covering units of work on ‘World of Work’ and ‘Business Enterprise’. It then develops in Year 9 with comprehensive careers information and option choices programme. In Year 10 the students get assistance in planning for the future and preparing for their ‘Work Experience’ placement that usually takes place in the summer term of Year 10. In Key Stage 4 the main focus is Post-16 choices; students get the opportunity to listen to guest speakers from local colleges and training providers and to attend the Post-16 Evening.
All Year 9, 10 and 11 students and parents/carers are invited to our annual Careers Convention allowing open access to representatives from local business, colleges and major training agencies. Exhibitors in the past have included the Armed Forces, the Police, local universities and many more.
We maintain a close and successful link with Sheffield Futures ensuring our students have a full range of information on Further and Higher Education, jobs and Apprenticeships. Year 11 students have group information sessions and/or individual interviews with an independent and impartial Careers Adviser.
Our students are supported through individual plans for the future in a full guidance programme. Information and advice is available from the Careers Library every lunchtime, supported by our school Careers and Work Experience officer.
Work Related Education
We make the provision for all students at KS4 to:
- Learn through work, e.g. Work Experience in Year 10, Dress to Impress Day, Take Your Child to Work Day
- Learn about work, e.g. vocational courses and careers education
- Learn for work, e.g. problem solving activities, PSHE programme
Some students will gain further work-related learning opportunities through:
- Vocational courses offered in the Options Process at KS4, for example hair and beauty and motor vehicle.
- Specialist work-related courses taught elsewhere by a college or training provider
- Extended Work Placements/Community Action programmes organised by the school
From 2012 we are proud to be one of the pilot schools in the ‘Made in Sheffield’ curriculum initiative. This initiative is sponsored by the prestigious Sheffield Cutlers’ Company and provides opportunities for local businesses and schools to work together to develop high quality education, relevant to the demands of the modern workplace.